Wednesday, October 14, 2009



There is nothing like a cold wintery day and warm soup!  And yes, it is already winter for me because I live in Iowa.  I don't think I need to elaborate on that.  This is one of our family favortites, given to me by my good friend Chelsea Buetler.  Thanks for sharing this recipe Chelsea!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 boneless chicken breast
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
4 can chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1 to 2 cups chunky salsa (depending on how hearty you like it) *Use fresh salsa, not Pace or something nasty like that.

Garnish with:
chopped avocado
shredded Monterey jack cheese
tortilla chips (I like the lime flavored)
cilantro
limes

In a large pot, saute chicken, garlic and onion in olive oil.  Add cumin and mix well.  Add broth, corn, chili powder, lemon juice, and salsa.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 mins.  

Garnish with the topping and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment